The Southwestern Salad with Grilled Chicken has been a recent, but popular addition to my recipe box. I love the variety of healthy ingredients this simple salad offers the consumer. With an arugula base, some might find this salad to be a little too flavorful, but the toppings and the Avocado Cilantro Dressing mesh together perfectly giving you one delicious meal! It makes a wonderful meal option for both Lunch and Dinner. The best part is that you can make this recipe in less than 20 minutes!
You can also remove the chicken for a vegan-friendly meal! I just can’t help but love the simple things in life and this recipe is definitely one of them! If you choose to use the Avocado Cilantro Dressing recipe (as pictured above) found here on Seize the Day Blog you will have a Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Sugar-Free entree for the the whole family!
- 1 8 oz Chicken Breast
- 1 5 oz Container of Arugula, rinsed
- 1 14 oz can Black Beans
- 1 Avocado
- 1 cup fresh Cilantro, leaves & stems
- 1 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Cucumber, chopped
- 1 Lime, to top each individual salad
- Garlic Salt, to taste
- Tortilla Chips, optional topping
- Begin by prepping the chicken breast. Cover each side with garlic salt or to your preference and grill until fully cooked.
- Pour black beans into sauce pan and cover with lid, set aside on stove. The beans do not take very long to cook so wait until the very end of your meal prep to begin cooking.
- Rinse arugula and place in a medium sized glass bowl.
- Chop the avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, and bell pepper into bite size pieces. Slice cilantro so that you get both the leaves and the upper stem. Add to bowl of arugula.
- Return to black beans and cook on medium high heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain beans, set aside in bowl.
- Slice cooked chicken into bite size pieces. I recommend adding the beans and chicken very last because of their warmer temperature.
- Once all ingredients have been prepped, cooked (if necessary), and added to the bowl of arugula thoroughly mix your salad.
- Add a squeeze of lime to enhance the flavor of the salad and drizzle with your dressing of choice.
Thank you for visiting Seize the Day Blog! You can provide your feedback on this recipe by emailing me (katie@seizethedayblog) or through Twitter and Instagram (@seizethedayblog). Thank you!
The information posted on Seize the Day Blog, including but not limited to, articles, images, recipes, text and other material are shared for informational purposes only. None of the writings should be looked upon as advice meant to replace that of an actual medical professional. If you suspect you have a serious medical condition you should seek help from a healthcare professional immediately. Please be aware that the author of this website is posting information simply to inform NOT to recommend others about health-related topics. Before following any information (i.e. undertaking a new healthcare or diet routine) found here on Seize the Day Blog, you should always consult a medical professional first. Please be sure to never disregard any medicinal advice because of something you have read on this website.