“As if being one of the top vegetable sources of beta-carotene weren’t enough, sweet potatoes are also rich in vitamins C and E. These are potent antioxidant vitamins that play an important role in disease prevention and longevity.”
– Danna Norek, naturalnews.com
Sweet potatoes are one of those foods that many people eat exclusively around the holidays, when they really should be eating them much more often! Incorporating sweet potatoes into your regular diet might be a bit of a challenge because most of us only know one way to prepare this delicious and incredibly healthy vegetable….covered in marshmallows. I don’t know about you, but I usually only feel like eating this dish around Thanksgiving or Christmas.
While eating at a foodie restaurant in Los Angeles, I discovered a genius and conventional way to prepare sweet potatoes…in fry form! Top these babies with a little bit of sea salt and rosemary and you’ll get your new favorite side dish! I also recommend coating the sliced sweet potatoes in Coconut Oil before sticking them in the oven for the full 30 minutes.
Just remember to pull the fries out at the 15 minute mark and flip them with a spatula so that one side does not get well done while the opposite side is only slightly done. You can cook the fries on a baking sheet or in a glass pan, just be sure to spread them out evenly over multiple pans. The fries won’t cook right if they’re all crammed together in one pan.
– Sweet Potatoes (About 6 medium sized or 8 small sized)
– 4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
– 1-2 Tablespoons sea salt
– 2-3 Tablespoons dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash potatoes, slice them into your desired shape and set aside in a large bowl.
- Drizzle Coconut Oil over sweet potato fries and toss to coat. Spread evenly over multiple glass pans or baking sheets.
- Once your fries are evenly dispersed, sprinkle half of the sea salt and rosemary to season. Place in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take all pans out of the oven (fries should be about halfway done at this point) and use a spatula to flip the fries. Once all the fries have been flipped, place pans back into the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Your sweet potato fries should cook for a total of 30 minutes. They should be soft with slightly crispy edges. Add the other half of sea salt and rosemary. You may need to add more to taste. Serve with ketchup, ranch or blue cheese.